OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – The Endicott softball team posted a 1-1 record on the final day of its spring break to Florida. In game one of the day, the Gulls defeated Springfield, 5-4 (12 inn.), but fell to Rowan, 7-0, in second contest of the day.
ENDICOTT 5, SPRINGFIELD 4 (12 inn.)
Tied 4-4 in the 12th inning, Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.) lifted a sacrifice fly to shallow center field that scored Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) for the eventual game-winning run in the matchup.
DeMilt's base running was key on the play as the senior right fielder got a good jump off third base after the catch in center was made, wheeled around a tag attempt by Springfield's catcher and dove into home plate with her hand swiping across the dish for the run.
Demilt started the inning at second via the international tiebreaker rule and advanced to third on a sac bunt by Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) before scoring.
Meanwhile, in the bottom half of the inning, Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) escaped a two-out second and third jam with a fly out to left field to clinch the win for the Gulls.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Oram improved to 3-0 on the season in the circle (3 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K).
- Endicott starter Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) received the no-decision despite a stellar outing (8 2/3 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 2 K).
- The Gulls scored two runs in the sixth — highlighted by Zoe Rose's (Carlstadt, N.J.) first collegiate RBI — one more in the eighth and another solo run in the ninth.
- Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.) and Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.) connected for RBI singles in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively. It was Misiaszek's seventh RBI and Odermatt's fourth RBI of the season.
- Endicott claimed its first win over Springfield since 3/12/2012 (also in Florida).
ROWAN 7, ENDICOTT 0
Oram was handed the loss on five innings pitched, nine hits, four runs (all earned), no walks, and four strikeouts.
Rowan starter Jesse DeDomenico (East Windsor, N.J.) picked up the win behind a complete game, two-hit effort, which also included two walks and three strikeouts.
The Profs scored twice in the third, posted another pair of runs in the fifth, and three more in the seventh to come away with their 10th win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Rowan is 2-1 in the all-time series against Endicott.
- The Profs have won the last two contests in the series.
Endicott (7-3) is scheduled to host crosstown rival Gordon College in conference action on Friday, March 29 at 2 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)