BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team and Bowdoin College played to a 2-2 (OT) tie on Tuesday night in non-conference action at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Endicott struck first in the contest as freshman forward Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) put home her own rebound directly in front of the crease at the 9:42 mark to claim a 1-0 advantage.
Bowdoin responded 1:56 later when Madeline Hall (Edina, Minn.) potted her second goal of the season to even the score at 1-1 on feeds by Ariana Bourque (West Barnstable, Mass.) and Julie Dachille (Venetia, Pa.), before Marissa Fichter (Duxbury, Mass.) gave the guests their first lead of the night at the 12:04 mark prior to heading into the break.
In the second, Endicott freshman forward Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) answered for the Gulls just 1:22 into the period by chipping home her sixth goal of the season at the left post to knot the game up at 2-2.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden), the reigning Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) Rookie of the Week, made 13 saves throughout the remainder of the contest to stymie the Polar Bears' offense and secure the tie. Jonsson finished the game with 36 saves total for her third straight 30-plus save game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is now 0-2-1 against NESCAC opponents this season.
- The Gulls are 3-2-2 at home.
- Layo and Meredith Vlachos (East Bridgewater, Mass.) tied for the team-high in face-off wins with seven.
- Hughes (1g, 1a) recorded her second career two-point game in tonight's tie.
- Jonsson is now 6-4-3 on the season for the Gulls.
FOR THE FOES
- Bowdoin goaltender Sophia Lattanzio (Montclair, N.J.) stopped 28 shots in the tie (2-1-1).
- Dachille and Fichter tied for the game-high in face-off wins with 13 apiece.
- Tonight's tie for the Polar Bears is their first since Friday, February 2015, which came against Hamilton 1-1 draw at home.
Endicott (8-5-3) hosts Trinity this Saturday at Raymond J. Bourque Arena at 1 p.m. Bowdoin (6-6-1) travels to Middlebury for a pair of games against the Panthers this coming Friday (7 PM) and Saturday (3 PM).